Lord Southborough, the Margate lifeboat, manned by her civilian crew, brought Cdr. H. du P. Richardson's exhausted beach party back from Dunkirk. For three days they had been in charge of a section of the evacuation. Before that, Lord Southborough transported troops from the beaches to a Dutch barge which had towed her from Margate, and then to an off-shore destroyer. She went a second time, taking over 500 men to the destroyer HMS Icarus.
Built in 1924 by S.E. Saunders, Lord Southborough was 45ft long with a 12ft 6in beam. She was sold out of service after thirty-one years to the Crown Agents for the Colonies and is believed to have gone to Benghazi.
Source: 1 & 5
Not yet updated