PEGGOTTY

(1940 Nayland)
Type: Motor Yacht
Length: 37 ft
Beam: 10 ft 8 ins
Draft: 4 ft
Displacement: 16 tons
Engine: Ford 4-cylinder Diesel
Construction: Clinker
Builder: R J Perkins & Sons, Whitstable
Year: 1937

Commander J. Glendinning RNR, in his report dated 5th June 1940 to the Naval Officer in charge, Ramsgate, told tersely how he took command of the tug Java on 28th May at 1430 and proceeded to Dunkirk with four drifters and five motor launches including the Nayland. They arrived off Bray Dunes on 29th May at 0100 and he anchored in three fathoms of water sending the motor launches to the beach in search of troops which "seemed to be hiding in the sands". All the vessels under his command proceeded to transfer soldiers from the beaches to the bigger ships offshore. At 1000 he ordered the motor launches to transfer their troops to HMS Calcutta. By 1900 there were no more large ships and the small boats returned directly to Ramsgate with their loads. They arrived there at 0930 on 30th May and Commander Glendinning reports that all their men were in good heart "despite having had no meal from the afternoon of 28th until 1100 on 30th May."


Records show that the Nayland disembarked 28 troops at Ramsgate at dawn on 2nd June and more at 0740 and 1120, so she must have been ferrying these from off-lying ships to Ramsgate harbour. The following morning, she disembarked a further 55 troops directly from Dunkirk at Ramsgate and her total score for the duration of Operation Dynamo was 83. The Nayland was originally built by Perkins in Whitstable as a pilot boat


In July 1940 the Nayland was transferred to auxiliary patrol duties at Ramsgate; later she became a despatch boat at Sheerness and she continued to serve the Navy until 17th July 1945.


After the war, her name was changed to Peggotty and in 1977 she was bought by Isabel Robinson, for £3,000 owing to her sad condition. Previous to this Peggotty had been raised three times from the mud at Richmond-upon-Thames where she had sunk, full of rain water, whilst she served as a floating home for a group of hippies. In 1987 Peggotty was purchased by Joe and Penny Eves. For a number of years, Peggotty was used as a houseboat moored at Swan Island Harbour, under the ownership of Ruth Rossington, then following an impact, she was holed.

Peggotty under new ownership bought for a pound by joint owners William & Pauline Moore and Paul and Hilary Leveck in 2016, She was floated up the Thames from Teddington to Chertsey, patched with bin bags, plywood, sealant and loaded with car batteries and bilge pumps. She made it to Dennett Boat Builders yard in Chertsey in good time and didn’t sink on the way thanks to an enthusiastic crew.

Peggotty was completely restored at
Dennett's yard (Dennett Boat Builders) including new Interior,  transom,  decks and all 37ft of underwater planking Peggotty was relaunched in Spring 2017. 


She was recently spotted at St Katherines Dock, London on Marathon day 2018. She looks magnificent and is clearly ready for many more years on the water.


Additional information submitted

Hi

We have just looked up Nayland. My Grandfather Coxswained her when she was a dispatch boat at Sheerness. He was full of stories about her adventures. Glad she's "Alive and well”.

John (jtownend58@gmail.com

 

©2020 The Association of Dunkirk Little Ships. All rights reserved.