Type: Motor Yacht
Length: 34ft 2ins
Beam: 8ft 8ins
Draft: 3ft 6ins
Displacement: 11.5 tons
Engine: 2 x 50hp Beta Diesels
Construction: Larch on oak
Builder: Cliff & Jones, Castleford
Built alongside the Aire and Calder Navigation in Castleford in 1930, it is believed that Lazy Days was attached to HMS. Wildfire during the Second World War.
At the time of Dunkirk, she is known to have been owned by M.V. Lazarus and spent three days ferrying troops from East Beach amid fierce air attack. She returned to England with many of her ribs broken at the waterline.
After Dunkirk, while on parachute mine patrol, a mutiny occurred aboard Lazy Days. Her Petty Officer, who was a hard-bitten, yacht skipper, took exception to the green young Lieutenant who came aboard when she was duty boat. The PO had a pint too many at lunchtime and when the young Lieutenant nagged him about the course he was steering, he hit him. He was sentenced at a Chatham Court Martial to 90 days in the glasshouse. But while being escorted from Chatham to Bristol, he gave his escort the slip and disappeared.
Lazy Days' condition after the war would have caused most owners to call it a day, but under private ownership she was rebuilt (as new) in 1952 and only then had a wheelhouse added. Following extensive use on the Thames and a sojourn at Cadogan Pier, following further changes in ownership she was sheathed in ferrocrete and had a new teak deck and twin Ford engines added prior to the 2000 return.
In 1953, Lazy Days took part in the Royal River Pageant along with Massey Shaw and White Orchid.
Sometime later, following a collision with 'the cobbler' below Windsor Bridge she changed hands yet again and had her ferrocrete removed.
In the period 2007-2009 she is known to have cruised extensively in the canals of the 'low countries’ and is remembered by many for her 'racy' artwork inside and out.
After the 2010 return she was sold to her present owners who use her as a family boat and following a re-engine and extensive refit prior to 2015, have returned her yet again to tip-top condition.
Also featured in the set of (2015) Palau postage stamps 'The Little Ships of Dunkirk'.
Following a period at St Katherines' Dock in London, she is now moored in "The Harbour of Happiness"- Ramsgate, where it is hoped she will provide Mr and Mrs Finn, family (and friend) with many years of pleasure.
Sun, 03/06/2012 - 16:47
Lived on Lazy Days in 1975 for about a year when I was 4 years old. Was moored at Heybridge Basin in Essex alongside an eel barge.
Thu, 05/05/2011 - 22:14
Descended through Cromwell Lock, River Trent this morning with Lazy Days.
Fri, 22/10/2010 - 16:53
Spotted Lazy Days moored up in Leicestershire’
Thu, 17/06/2010 - 20:33
New owners from today John & Margaret Hoskins
previous owners of Chumley.